Skip to main content

Mortgages. Call Us on 0345 850 0842

Facing Financial Difficulty

Please don’t ignore the problem

If you are having trouble paying your mortgage, there are a number of options available that may ease your situation and ultimately help to resolve the issue. This section explains the things that you should consider and the actions that we will take to help you.

Call us on the appropriate phone number below as soon as possible if you are having problems paying your mortgage or think that you may experience difficulty doing so in the near future:

Important information

You’ll need to quote your mortgage account number whenever you have a mortgage query. This can be found on your mortgage statement or other mortgage related letters.


Steps you should take

How we can help

If you’ve fallen behind with your payments, we will do the following.

We will:

If we cannot offer you any of the options above, we will tell you why. If we are able to offer one or more of them, we will explain how each option would work and give you time to consider it.

You may wish to talk to a professional adviser, such as a debt counsellor or a lawyer, before you change your mortgage arrangements. We would strongly advise that you seek independent, free, debt advice.

Costs, charges and legal proceedings

Costs and charges

If your mortgage goes into arrears, we may charge you for reasonable administration and, more importantly, legal costs. We will tell you the amount you will have to pay – contact us.

Legal proceedings

If we cannot agree on a solution with you to clear your arrears, we may go to court to start proceedings to repossess your home. If proceedings take place, it is strongly recommended that you attend the court and that you seek independent debt and legal advice.

The commencement of court proceedings does not necessarily mean that we will repossess your home. We will keep trying to solve the problem with you. Repossession is a last resort.

If we have started court proceedings to repossess your home, you should get in touch with your local authority to see if you are eligible for assistance in finding somewhere else to live. We’ll send you some information about this.

If your home is repossessed

If your home is eventually repossessed:

Dealing with complaints

If you think that we have not treated you fairly in dealing with any arrears on your mortgage, first please talk to us and let us know what the problem is. The chances are that your complaint can be quickly resolved by the manager of the area you are dealing with – so please contact them first. Find details of your local branch.

If, after going through the complaints process, you’re still unhappy, you can then refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (The Financial Ombudsman Service is only available once you have received the final letter of response from us, or if you have not received a final response after 8 weeks). The Financial Ombudsman Service provides a free and independent service for consumers, and can be contacted at:

The Financial Ombudsman Service
Exchange Tower
London E14 9SR

FOS Enquiries & Consumer Helpline:
Monday to Friday - 8am to 8pm
Saturday - 9am to 1pm

Answers to questions on PPI complaints

Other issues

Some companies may offer you new loans or even invite you to sell your property to them and then lease it back as a way of resolving your short-term financial difficulty. Please be careful, as such actions may not be in your long-term best interests. We advise you to seek independent advice before entering into any arrangement of this type.

You may be thinking about handing your keys over to us. If you do this, you will still owe us any outstanding debt, and we advise you to discuss this option with us first before taking such action.


Bank of Scotland plc, Registered in Scotland No. SC327000. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Copyright © 2008, Bank of Scotland. All rights reserved.